Note: Can't see live counter image above? Try again later as my WDMyCloud is offline!
This is Transmission v2.84 for firmware V4+ successfully built with 64K page size memory patch. For setups and details, refer to https://www.transmissionbt.com/.
As you would have known, the normal apt-get install no longer works with the latest WD v4 firmware. The changes made in this latest firmware includes builds running on 64K page size memory. Thus we're not able to install most 3rd party applications such as Transmission.
Now the good news, Transmission deb package for v4 firmware has been successfully produced. For those interested on how to build from the source, refer to this thread. It may help others to continue supporting the 64K page size memory for other packages. Below are my simplified instructions on how to get it installed on the V4 firmware (will not work on older firmwares).
If you proceed further, you are fully aware of the usual WD's warranty void clauses including disclaimer from any damages that may resulted from this guide.
- Enable SSH on your NAS from the WD DashBoard settings if not done so. SSH to your NAS port 22 using i.e. putty root@wdmycloud.
- NEW: My Dropbox free 50GB+ space has expired! I'm now reserving it for my smartphone photos. So I'm letting you guys download directly from my WDMyCloud instead. But for that, I have to step up some security measures to prevent abusive usage on my WDMyCloud and sorry for any inconvenience caused. Please be gentle and if you can't download at anytime, try again about an hour later as I could be rebooting or working on something with the nas.
AND I have also made an online generic 64K page size memory package installer to simplify the installations of Debian packages on WDMyCloud. This will not work on older version 3 WD firmwares and I'm not planning to support it either as I'm sticking with the V4 firmwares. Based on dynamic server-side FastCGI, perl and shell scripts, I'll be using this method for newer guides from now onwards. Feel free to parse the script codes. All bug reports, opinions and suggestions are welcomed.
The new Generic Online Installer:
1) Auto download of required debs including its dependencies if any. 2) Debs installation in the required order to prevent dependency issues. 3) Auto run custom configurations if any.
- To proceed with the installation, first you need to get the username and password from me. The credentials will expire hourly e.g. "1AM,2AM,3AM..." to prevent intentional abuse on my network resources. Click and go to the link below to get the credentials:
- After obtaining the credentials, just copy & paste into the SSH terminal session of your WDMyCloud:
export NAZAR78_USER=user; export NAZAR78_PASS=pass;
- Then run the online installer on your WDMyCloud copy & paste as below, follow the instructions and enjoy (-:
- For quick backup and restore when WD release newer firmware update:
Before updating firmware: tar zcf /shares/Public/transmission.tar.gz ~/.config/transmission-daemon; After updating firmware: tar xf /shares/Public/transmission.tar.gz -C /; Run the online installer again. Your settings will be preserved and you may then remove the tar backup.
- Online Installer change log:
 - Show path details during configurations.  - Ensure daemon is not running during configurations else settings can't be saved. - Enabled 'watch-dir' in '/shares/Public/Transmission/Downloads' for new install.  - Printing of package size during install. - Check and warn available rootfs space before installing. - Changed tmp path to allocate larger than 100Mb installs.
- Changes from the last guide:
1) Omitted '/DataVolume' in the paths and symlinks, now points to '/shares'. 2) Improved the 'transmission-stop' script. 3) Installations and configurations generated from the new online installer.